Magnetic Foreign Body Ingestions Review uri icon


MeSH Major

  • Digestive System
  • Foreign Bodies
  • Magnets


  • Magnets are inherently attractive to young children, but present a risk when ingested. If consumed alone, small, smooth magnetic foreign bodies are likely to pass without significant event; however, ingestion of multiple magnets may have catastrophic consequences, including bowel perforation, obstruction, peritonitis, and death. Increasing reports of morbidity and mortality in recent years from the US National Electronic Injury Surveillance System has led to numerous safety statements from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as several product recalls from the Consumer Product Safety Commission. This article presents the background and mechanism of injury of magnet ingestion, as well as recommended management and potential complications. We also review current legislation and opportunities for further patient advocacy regarding this polarizing problem.

publication date

  • October 2016



  • Review



  • eng

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1097/PEC.0000000000000927

PubMed ID

  • 27749667

Additional Document Info

start page

  • 698

end page

  • 702


  • 32


  • 10