Chemotherapy in the elderly Report uri icon

Overview

MeSH Major

  • Clinical Trials as Topic
  • Neoplasms
  • Patient Selection
  • Research Subjects

abstract

  • People over the age of 65 years constitute the fastest-growing segment of the US population. Within the next 30 years, this group will comprise over 20% of the total population. Importantly, 50% of all cancers and 70% of cancer mortality occur in this age group. Choosing the correct chemotherapy regimen and dose for the older patient can be extremely difficult due to physiological changes that occur with aging, as well as other comorbidities associated with this age group. Treatment decisions need to be based on a patient's individual performance, functional status, life expectancy, and their wishes and opinions. Although there are no accepted algorithms to guide management decisions in elderly cancer patients, data are becoming available that will help guide the use of chemotherapy in the older patient population. © 2007 Future Medicine Ltd.

publication date

  • April 2007

Research

keywords

  • Report

Identity

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.2217/1745509X.3.2.165

Additional Document Info

start page

  • 165

end page

  • 175

volume

  • 3

number

  • 2