Treatment of aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in elderly patients with thiotepa, novantrone (mitoxantrone), vincristine, prednisone (TNOP) Academic Article Article uri icon

Overview

MeSH Major

  • Clinical Trials as Topic
  • Neoplasms
  • Patient Selection
  • Research Subjects

abstract

  • The aging of the population and the increased incidence of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma will result in a large number of elderly patients with this disorder. Newer therapies will be required for this group of patients. This article reports a new therapy for elderly patients with diffuse aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Patients were treated with TNOP (thiotepa 20 mg/m(2), mitoxantrone (Novantrone) 10 mg/m(2), vincristine (Oncovin) 1 mg/m(2) all on day 1 and prednisone 60 mg/m(2) on days 1 through 5 of a 21-day course. Twenty-six patients were enrolled on study. The patients' ages ranged from 66 years to 87 years, with a mean age of 75.5 years. Eleven patients had a partial response (42%) and 4 patients had a complete response (15%) for a total response of 57%. Eighty-one percent of patients survived 1 year and 54% survived for 2 years. The median survival was 26 months. Hematologic and nonhematologic toxicity was tolerable. We believe that TNOP is an excellent therapeutic option in this group of elderly patients, particularly in the palliative setting.

publication date

  • August 20, 2001

Research

keywords

  • Academic Article

Identity

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1097/00000421-200108000-00008

PubMed ID

  • 11474261

Additional Document Info

start page

  • 360

end page

  • 2

volume

  • 24

number

  • 4