Intraperitoneal cisplatin and etoposide in the treatment of refractory/recurrent ovarian carcinoma Academic Article uri icon

Overview

MeSH Major

  • Antineoplastic Combined Chemotherapy Protocols
  • Ovarian Neoplasms

abstract

  • To determine the efficacy of a 6-month course of combination intraperitoneal (IP) chemotherapy with cisplatin and etoposide in patients with refractory or recurrent advanced ovarian carcinoma, 67 patients were entered into this prospective, nonrandomized, single-institution trial. Cisplatin at 100 mg/m2 and etoposide at 200 mg/m2 were administered IP on day 1 every month for 6 months. Exploratory laparotomy was performed before protocol entry and was planned after the completion of 6 months of IP therapy to surgically document response. All patients had received prior intravenous (IV) chemotherapy with a cisplatin-based regimen. At protocol entry, 18 (27%) patients had surgically defined residual tumor (maximal tumor diameter) greater than 2.0 cm, 17 (25%) patients greater than 0.5 cm - less than or equal to 2.0 cm, and 32 (48%) patients less than or equal to 0.5 cm. Sixteen patients (24%) who had experienced a treatment-free interval of more than 1 year prior to study entry were considered as having recurrent disease and the remaining 51 (76%) patients were considered as having refractory disease. Toxicity was tolerable: four patients (6%) had nadir fever, three (4%) had culture-documented bacterial peritonitis, five (7%) had IP catheter-related complications, and 27 (40%) had an increase in serum creatinine greater than 1.5 mg/dL. Among the 57 patients who are fully evaluable for response, the overall surgically defined response rate, complete (CR), and partial response (PR), was 40% (23/57), and the CR rate was 21% (12/57). Among the patients with recurrent disease, eight of 13 (62%) responded, with responses seen among all categories of residual disease. Among the patients with refractory disease, 15 of 44 (34%) had surgically documented responses. However, responses were more frequent in patients with residual disease less than 0.5 cm; 11 of 20 (55%) versus four of 24 (17%) with residual greater than 0.5 cm, P = .019 (chi 2, one degree of freedom, Yates correction). The duration of the CRs ranges from 4 to 18+ months. Longer follow-up is needed to determine if there is any impact on survival.

publication date

  • January 1989

Research

keywords

  • Academic Article

Identity

Language

  • eng

PubMed ID

  • 2671288

Additional Document Info

start page

  • 1327

end page

  • 32

volume

  • 7

number

  • 9