Chloride flux from blood to CSF: inhibition by furosemide and bumetanide Academic Article uri icon

Overview

MeSH Major

  • Bumetanide
  • Chlorides
  • Diuretics
  • Furosemide

abstract

  • Movement of chloride from blood to cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is one of the factors that may be involved in regulation of CSF [Cl-], which is important to CSF acid-base balance. We made quantitative measurements of the unidirectional flux of radiolabeled chloride between blood and CSF in anesthetized dogs, using 38Cl, a short-lived isotope (half-life 37.3 min). This allowed multiple studies to be performed in a given animal. A three-compartment model for the blood, CSF, brain extracellular fluid, and ventriculocisternal perfusion system was used to determine the flux rate. With normocapnia, the flux was 0.01.1 min-1. The influx could be reproducibly measured for three separate determinations in the same animal over a period of 6 h, being 98 +/- 6% of the control first run on the second run and 113 +/- 6% on the third. Furosemide and bumetanide, inhibitors of sodium-coupled chloride movement, lowered the flux to 43 +/- 3% and 55 +/- 6% of control, respectively. The combination of hypercapnia and furosemide lowered the influx to 63 +/- 9% of control. These results indicate that a major mechanism of chloride entry into CSF is sodium-coupled chloride transport.

publication date

  • December 1987

Research

keywords

  • Academic Article

Identity

Language

  • eng

PubMed ID

  • 3693196

Additional Document Info

start page

  • 1591

end page

  • 600

volume

  • 63

number

  • 4