INTRAVENOUS INFUSION OF CONTAMINATED DEXTROSE SOLUTION. The Devonport Incident
Heart Valve Prosthesis Implantation
Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Cine
Mitral Valve Insufficiency
The manufacture, faulty sterilisation, distribution, and use of part of a batch of 5% dextrose intravenous solution is described. Some of the bottles were bacterially contaminated, and the contents of some of these were infused into patients. Certain details of the patients affected, at least four of whom died of acute endotoxic shock, are recorded. The multiplication of three of the organisms isolated from the bottles was followed experimentally in dextrose solution, and the resulting endotoxin levels were estimated. At room temperature in this fluid gram-negative species of bacteria reached counts of about 107 organisms per ml. in 3 weeks, falling slowly to 104-105 per ml. after 11 months. These findings accorded well with counts found in contaminated bottles of the same age. © 1973.
Digital Object Identifier (DOI)
Additional Document Info
has global citation frequency